Newtown Square Freight station was constructed in 1895, shortly
after the railroad line was built. It was located on the west
side of Newtown Street Road (Rt. 252) and now Winding Way.
This was also the site of the lumber and coal yard, plus a
feed and grain store. A corral was located in back of the
freight station to hold livestock for shipments to and from
the farms in the area. Farmers would bring their horses to
E.W. Powell, the veterinarian, and after being tended by him
they would be shipped out by stock car. A passenger station
was next to the freight station. It housed the post office
and telegraph station for many years. The freight station
was the end of the line, the last stop from Philadelphia.
1895 and 1908, as many as thirteen trains a day pulled in
and out of the Newtown Square station; the milk train, the
mail train, and various freight and passenger trains. The
passenger train made the trip out in the morning and returned
to Philadelphia in the afternoon. The railroad ran its passenger
service from 1895 to 1908, but its freight service operated
into 1963, in the later years servicing mostly the lumberyard.
There were ten stops. Eight of them were flag stops, along
with the Llanarch and Newtown Square stations.
freight station is the last vestige of the Newtown Square
branch of the P.R.R. freight and passenger line that once
rumbled 9.2 miles through the township to Philadelphia.
To make room for the Winding Way by-pass road, the station
was moved to its new home on the Drexel Lodge site on West
Chester Pike. The Newtown Square Historical Preservation Society
was pleased to have the opportunity to move and save this
valuable piece of history. The Historical Society will start
a complete restoration on May 11, 2000. They plan to use it
as a railroad museum, preserving a piece of our history for
future generations. In 2006 it was transferred to the Newtown
Square Penn Railroad Museum Association.
Square Pennsylvania Railroad Days
rail line from Broad Street Station to Newtown Square was
completed in 1894. It was 19 miles in length. After it left
Philadelphia it traversed Upper Darby, Haverford, Marple,
Radnor and Newtown Townships. It spelled the opening of transportation
to central Delaware County for both passenger and freight
from Philadelphia. Passenger Service ran from 1894 to 1908
while the freight service to Newtown Square lasted until 1965,
and to Haverford until 1985. At this time the rail line was
abandoned, the track and all the buildings were removed except
for a freight station at the end of the line in Newtown Square.
In 1999 a group of members of the Newtown Square Historical
Society decided to save this pieced of local history. After
many problems since it lay in the path of a new highway it
was moved to the Drexel Lodge Park. Here it was restored and
two tracks were laid 200 feet long alongside the station.
Four rail cars were obtained to try to simulate for future
generations the legacy of the “Iron Horse” that
helped develop our townships and nation. Today the Museum
and cars are open. It is the intent to develop a program for
of the Rail Cars
It is a 1920 yard locomotive built by the American Locomotive
works. It worked in Syracuse, New York until 1950 then for
a short time elsewhere and finally it just and rusted away.
The Museum obtained it in 2002 and has restored it to look
like an engine of the 1890’s. It never actually ran
on the Pennsylvania Railroad.
It was built in 1902 in the West Philadelphia shops of the
Pennsylvania Railroad. There were 600 built that year and
this is their last remaining one. After service with the Pennsy
it was sold to The Canadian National Railroad. Finally in
1975, The Henry Ford Museum in Detroit gave it to our museum.
We are working on its Restoration.
The Pennsylvania Railroad built this car in 1950. We obtained
it from a local group in New Brunswick, New Jersey and have
restored it. Today cabooses are no longer used on freight
trains due to advancing modern technology.
This care we believe was built in 1907. It is wooden and typical
of the kind that was used on our freight line to Newtown Square.
This car was given to us by the National Park Service’s
Railroad Museum called Steamtown located in Scranton, Pennsylvania.
for Railroad Days
Square Branch PRFSM
Gowan & Sons
& Kathleen Clement
Trolley Stop In
American Legion Post
Turner L & F
Donors From Day One:
Jim & Helen van Valkenburg
The Elizabeth Hooper Foundation
Rotary Club of Newtown Square
State of Pennsylvania
Square Business Association