Newtown Square Freight station was constructed in 1895, shortly
after the railroad line was built. It was located on the west
side of Newtown Street Road (Rt. 252) and now Winding Way. This
was also the site of the lumber and coal yard, plus a feed and
grain store. A corral was located in back of the freight station
to hold livestock for shipments to and from the farms in the area.
Farmers would bring their horses to E.W. Powell, the veterinarian,
and after being tended by him they would be shipped out by stock
car. A passenger station was next to the freight station. It housed
the post office and telegraph station for many years. The freight
station was the end of the line, the last stop from Philadelphia.
1895 and 1908, as many as thirteen trains a day pulled in and
out of the Newtown Square station; the milk train, the mail train,
and various freight and passenger trains. The passenger train
made the trip out in the morning and returned to Philadelphia
in the afternoon. The railroad ran its passenger service from
1895 to 1908, but its freight service operated into 1963, in the
later years servicing mostly the lumberyard. There were ten stops.
Eight of them were flag stops, along with the Llanarch and Newtown